Forgetful, chaotic, or just plain preoccupied? Everyone can use a helpful list when it comes to moving home.
We’ve developed this one from over 50 years of experience, and though you’ll probably want to add something, it’s a good place to start.
A few helpful hints:
- Have you notified the following of your change in address?
- Post Office (for mail redirection)
- Financial institutions (to transfer and close accounts)
- Electoral registrar
- Taxation Department
- Leasing company
- The insurance company (to transfer or terminate household insurance)
- Life insurance company
- Car insurance company
- Health insurance company
- School principal (to receive a letter regarding the status of your children in school)
- Shops and stores where you have charge accounts
- Relatives, friends and regular correspondents
- Club memberships
- Publications you subscribe to
- Doctor(s) and dentist (to obtain copies of your records)
- Your lawyer
- Your place of worship.
Have you discontinued these services?
- Cable Television
- Newspaper/Publication Delivery
- Internet Subscription.
- Defrosted your refrigerator/freezer and drained all water hoses
- Disconnected your washing machine and drained water
- Checked with the manufacturer to ensure all major appliances are correctly prepared for moving
- Emptied all gas cylinders (first verify if they may be shipped to your destination)
- Arranged for electricity and gas companies to disconnect any fittings from the supply
- Dispose of items you do not wish to take with you
- Returned books, videos, etc…
- Removed your own fixtures and fittings from walls
- Put important items such as passports and tickets in your personal luggage so they are not accidentally packed
- Arranged for someone to look after your children on the packing days (this can be a stressful time for them)
- Washed thoroughly any items that may be of interest to quarantine (i.e, mowers, garden tools, golf equipment, bicycles, etc.).
- Dangerous Goods
The following are classified as dangerous goods and cannot be stored or transported:
- New or partially used cans of paint
- Linseed oil
- Bleach products
- Gas cylinders, turpentine (unless emptied)
- Cleaning fluids
- Aerosols (any kinds)
- Vegetable oils
- Chemical sets.
Are your windows and doors locked? Old house keys surrendered?
Are all done? Get a good night’s rest!